HES Zombie Run Logistics
RACE DAY SCHEDULE
Hyattsville Zombie Run will be held on Saturday, October 5, 2019, rain or shine. It takes place at Magruder Park, at 3911 Hamilton Street, Hyattsville.
7:30 – 9:15 a.m. – Race day registration and packet pick-up
8:45 a.m. – 1K Family Fun Run
9:05 a.m. – 1M Kids’ Challenge
9:30 a.m. – 5K Zombie Run
10:30ish a.m. – Awards ceremony (at the conclusion of the 5K)
Participants are encouraged to pick up their packets (race bib, goody bag, and race t-shirt) on Friday, October 4, 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Packet pick-up will be at Whole Foods on Route 1 in Riverdale Park. Packet pickup will also be available the day of the race, 7:30 – 9:15 a.m. in Magruder Park. You must show a photo ID to pick up a race packet. Minors without a photo ID may pick up their packet with accompanying parent or guardian. Picking up a packet for a friend? Be sure to bring a copy or picture of their photo ID.
Race timing for the Hyattsville Zombie Run is provided by Race Wire (my.racewire.com/athletes). Runners who provide their cell phone number or email during registration will receive their official time from Race Wire shortly after finishing the race. All race bibs will have timing devices already affixed to the back of the bib when you pick it up. If you register for multiple races, you will receive multiple bibs. Please be sure to wear the correct bib for the correct race!
PLEASE NOTE: Bending, crumpling, or folding the bib may affect the ability of the timing device to correctly record a runner’s time. Please be careful handling the bib avoid damaging the timing device. Do not move through the finish arch with your bib on unless you are completing a race! This could impact how the sensors record your run.
5K/1K/1M entrants will receive a Hyattsville Zombie Run T-shirt and a goody bag. First-place-finishers in each age category in the 5K and 1M will receive a Zombie Run medal. All registered participants in the 1K Family Fun Run and 1M Kids Run will receive participation Zombie Run dog tags. Finish line food and drink will be available to all racers.
Our shirts come in adult sizes S, M, L, XL, and XXL and youth sizes S, M, and L. The shirts feature this year’s Hyattsville Zombie Run logo, and sponsors are printed on the back. The availability of your T-shirt size is not guaranteed.
Costumes are encouraged but not required! This is a 5K with a Halloween/Zombie theme to make it fun. There will be awards for costumes and some racers might dress as zombies or in other costumes but there will not be any zombies chasing the runners along the course. This is a fun, family event, and you are welcome to dress as you see fit. Register for the costume contest at the HES PTA tent—you must register to participate! Prizes will be awarded!
An awards ceremony will be held at the conclusion of the 5K, at about 10:30 a.m. Participants will receive awards as listed below. In addition, there will be awards for Best Costume. Raffle prizes will be awarded to students who participated as Individual Fundraisers (see below).
5K Awards – First Place Finisher Awards will be presented to one male and one female in each of the following age-groups:
1 Mile Kids’ Challenge Awards – All participants in the 1 Mile Kids’ Challenge will receive a participation dog tag award. First Place Finisher Awards will also be presented to one boy and one girl, of the following age groups:
- 5 years old
- 6 years old
- 7 years old
- 8 years old
- 9 years old
- 10 years old
- 11 years old
1K Family Fun Run Awards – All children participating in the 1K Family Fun Run will receive a dog tag award.
1) Dogs, skates, or bikes are not allowed on the race course. Jogging strollers must start at the back of the pack.
2) Runners must remain on the road and follow the instructions of volunteers to stay on the race course.
3) The Race Committee reserves the right to reject an application or remove any participant from the course at their discretion.
4) All race entries are final. No refunds will be provided should you have to cancel.
5) Transfer of race numbers is prohibited. Anytime a runner uses another person’s number, it causes concern for a race director. For your safety, we need to know who is in the race. In addition race results are adversely affected from this, which can cause awards errors in a small race.
6) There are no pacers or bandits allowed in the race. Any runner found on the course without a number will be removed. Any extra runners entering the race take away from those that paid to run.
7) Once you cross the finish line runners must continue to move away from the finish line. This rule is to prevent crowding and ensure all runners have a safe finish.
8) Headphones or any listening devices are not permitted during any of the Hyattsville Zombie Run races.
BE AN INDIVIDUAL FUNDRAISER FOR ANY LOCAL SCHOOL
How it works: When you register to run in the Hyattsville Zombie Run, you can also set up a fundraising page that allows your friends and family to sponsor you. Every dollar raised through this fundraising page goes directly to your own school’s PTA or PTSO.
How to do it:
- Sign up for the Zombie Run now at runsignup.com/HyattsvilleZombieRun.
- When you register, it will ask if you would like to become a “Fundraiser”. Click on the Fundraiser banner. Follow the directions to complete the online form.
- Select your own school from the dropdown box under “Fundraiser Type”. If you don’t see your school listed, send a request to have it added to email@example.com .
- Please include a personal message about why this is important to you and that the money raised will go to your school’s PTA. Upload a picture if you can!
- After you complete registration, you will receive an email with your unique website link. Share this link with everyone you know and ask them to sponsor your run, then start training for race day!
- After race day, the money you raise will be sent automatically to your school. It’s that simple!
What’s in it for you: An opportunity to have good, healthy fun with your friends! Help your school! Win prizes! For every $10 you raise by noon on October 4th, your name will be entered into a raffle to be held on race day. You must be present to win. Prizes are non-transferable.
• 1st prize in the raffle is a bike from Arrow Bicycle, valued up to $500!
• 2nd and 3rd prizes will be awarded!
• Highest fundraiser will get a prize!
Special thanks to Arrow Bicycle for their generous support of this project to help all local Hyattsville schools. Arrowbicycle.com/
FOOD AND DRINKS
Shortcake Bakery will be selling food. Local brewery Streetcar 82 will be on site selling beer.
Sorry, there will not be a bag check for this event.
This race starting line is a 20 minute walk from the West Hyattsville metro on the Green Line. Leave the station and walk SOUTH on Hamilton St. and travel 1.1 miles. Turn Right into Magruder Park and follow the signs to the registration/packet pick-up tables.
Parking is available at the Prince George’s County Courthouse building at 4990 Rhode Island Avenue. The entrance to the garage is on 43rd Avenue, across from Streetcar 82 Brewing Company. The City of Hyattsville is providing a free shuttle bus from the garage to the park—just look for the City Bus at the entrance to the garage. We do not have permission to park in the WSSC lot. Car-pooling with your runner or walker friends is a great option!
SHARE THE FUN
Let the world know you’re participating. Use #HVLZombieRun on social media to spread the word!
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram. Post your pictures to our Facebook page at Hyattsville Zombie Run!
NEIGHBORHOOD PARKING RESTRICTIONS and ROAD CLOSURES
PARKING: There will be NO PARKING allowed on the race route that day from 6 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Please park in your driveway, or on a street not on the course. The race course in marked in blue on the map below.
STREET CLOSURES: Race course streets will be closed during the races. Roads will be reopened when the course is clear of runners. All races are expected to be finished by 11:00 a.m.
AVOID DELAYS: If you intend to use your car between 6:00 and 11:00 a.m. on race day, please move your car IN ADVANCE to a spot outside of the shaded area on the map below.
Download and print this page on two legal size sheets here.